During Postpartum Recovery
Reflexology helps postpartum recoveryPostpartum recovery, pain and emotional responses are helped by reflexology including:
- earlier and better lactation
- earlier postpartum recovery (defecation, urination, return of uterine shape, lochia discharge)
- significantly lower anxiety and depression
- improved quality of sleep with a 30 minute reflexology session each evening for 5 days
- quicker recovery from Cesarean section—lessened pain, shorter time to first urination and first defecation
A better initiation of lactation for the new mother resulted when reflexology was given within 30 hours after delivery for 10 to 15 minutes a day. Initiation resulted at 44 hours in contrast to 67 hours for those who did not receive reflexology.
Significantly lower depression and anxiety resulted when reflexology was provided 6 hours after delivery and then daily. Quicker postpartum recovery resulted for the new mother as well as.
<!–See also Reflexology Help for Pregnancy/Birthing
E-book with step-by-step instructions guiding the reader through helping the mother-to-be with reflexology.–>
For how-to instructions for reflexology techniques with full color photos and illustrations, see Complete Reflexology for Life by Barbara and Kevin Kunz.
See also Reflexology for Children by Barbara and Kevin Kunz for how-to instructions and using reflexology to help growing children.
Medical Applications of Reflexology: Findings in Research about Post- operative Care, Maternity Care, and Cancer Care by Barbara and Kevin Kunz provides research information for pregnant women, loved ones and researchers wanting full information about reflexology use with pregnancy. Included is how detailed information and analysis from pregnancy studies around the world.